Wine Tasting Room Manager
Founded as one of the first organic vineyard estates in Santa Barbara County, Sunstone Vineyards and Winery is considered to be one of the most visually stunning winery estates in California. Named for the vineyard’s exposed sun-dappled shale and stones, Sunstone is a destination winery that has been honored many times over by Santa Barbara Independent readers as “Best Santa Ynez Valley Tasting Room.” Specializing in Bordeaux and Rhone varietals, Sunstone’s winery estate features expansive picnic grounds, gorgeous Provencal-style stone tasting room, barrel aging caves and The Villa at Sunstone, an architectural masterpiece reserved for private events and guest experiences.
Celebrating our 25th Anniversary in 2019, Sunstone Vineyards & Winery has an exciting opportunity to join the leadership team of one of Santa Barbara County’s most visited winery estates. The Tasting Room Manager will manage and lead the day to day operation of one of the highest volume winery tasting rooms in Santa Barbara County, reporting to the Director of DTC Sales. This position will provide leadership, support, motivation and development of 15-20 Team Members, creating a positive environment that encourages ownership and accountability while providing a quality guest and club member experience. This role will monitor and ensure exceptional service, food and wine quality and presentation. The Tasting Room Manager is a key member of the company’s leadership team and a major contributor to meeting, or exceeding departmental financial goals and ensuring adherence to all Santa Barbara County and State of California laws. A key emphasis of this role will be prioritizing operational excellence in a fast-paced environment.
- Ensure that every guest has a pleasant experience at the winery, every time and embodies this message to the team;
- Oversee all aspects involving the tasting room staff scheduling, including day of deployment, replacement and labor budget, as under forecast;
- Meet and exceed financial goals;
- Oversee staff and stage manage daily in tasting room, to ensure proper hospitality and service is provided to all guests, in addition to company policies and procedures are being followed;
- Together with the Director of DTC, trains, educates, motivate and manage tasting room staff, including the Tasting Room Lead;
- Coach and document performance issues as needed and be comfortable having “tough” conversations, when required;
- Ensure tasting room team is following all safety parameters; act as a “safety champion” for tasting room operation; conduct monthly safety meetings and follow-up appropriately on concerns to ensure no injuries occur;
- Ensure all tasting room operations, including opening, closing and general upkeep of the facilities are to the highest standards;
- Act as the daily point of sale close out procedures, cash handling and reporting;
- Assist in tasting room, private tastings, tours and off-site events, as needed;
- Manage wine and merchandise inventory; monitor merchandising of products, including wine and non-wine items, to ensure proper brand representation;
- Manage and create tasting list content and presentation;
- Carry out new policies and procedures determined by management and ensure all employees are updated with necessary information;
- Work closely with all departments to ensure a seamless guest experience;
- Actively review process and procedures to streamline efficiencies and remove challenges for front line team members;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong team leader with astute attention to detail;
- Ability to set and achieve goals and adhere to deadlines;
- Strong sense of accountability for team and self;
- Passion for wine and passionate interest in wine-related information;
- Ability to relate well to a wide variety of people;
- Excellent sales talent and proven track record of sales-related experience;
- Exceptionally customer service-oriented; experience in a winery tasting room required;
- Exemplary planning and organizational, judgment and problem resolution and written and oral communication skills;
- Flexibility in work schedule to meet needs of business, including evening and weekend shifts and periodic offsite events;
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time; lift and move 50 pounds, must be age 21 or older and hold a valid California Driver’s License;
- Ability to change direction quickly and function effectively in a fast-paced environment.
Bachelor’s degree preferred, with an emphasis on business, hospitality, or operations;
Minimum 3 years’ experience in a management role within a high-volume winery tasting room;
Strong technology proficiency including POS system and internet-based productivity tools such as Microsoft 365; Wine Direct experience is a plus.
Competitive salary based on experience on a full-time, exempt basis;
Health, dental and vision insurance package;
Paid holidays and vacation accrual.